|Menezes chief inspector sacked after 'boasting on
dating site he had sex with 14-year-old boy'
Mail | November 15, 2011
A Scotland Yard chief inspector has been sacked after boasting that he had sex with a 14-year-old boy, it was revealed today.
John Duffy, 46, claimed online that he carried out the depraved sex act on a teenage stranger he met through a gay dating website.
He also bragged that he had taken cocaine and used his position as a uniformed officer to try and seduce people online.
Duffy was caught out after a shocked user of the website reported him to the police. He was arrested at his home in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, on suspicion of sexual assault in June last year.
Last week it was revealed that a senior inspector from the Metropolitan Police had been sacked after an internal investigation. The officer was not named but he has now been revealed to be Duffy, the Sun reported today.
Duffy was in charge of the scene at Stockwell Tube Station where Brazilian electrician John Charles de Menezes was wrongly shot dead by police in 2005. The 27-year-old had been suspected of being involved with the failed London bombings the day before.
Last week it was revealed that Duffy had used his position to advertise himself online in an attempt to meet sexual partners while in uniform.
He was arrested at his home last year but a criminal investigation by Kent Police was dropped because there was not thought to have been enough evidence.
However, the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards launched an internal investigation with supervision from the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
Duffy was sacked last week after a two-day hearing in which he was found guilty of gross misconduct.
'There was no evidence he did have sex with a boy. It was all a fantasy, but an unhealthy one,' a source told the Sun.
IPCC commissioner Mike Franklin said: 'Police officers, by virtue of the powers vested in them, hold positions of authority and trust in our communities.
'Those who discredit their role cannot expect to continue to serve the public and, as in this case, they should be dismissed.'
Commander Peter Spindler, director of professional standards at the Met, said: 'Officers and staff may believe that what they do online, whether on duty or off-duty, is either anonymous or doesn't have any impact on others.
'This is not the case. The Metropolitan Police Service will pursue any allegations regarding improper online activity as vigorously as any wrongdoing offline.
'We expect our employees to behave professionally, morally, ethically and with the utmost humility and integrity in all areas of their lives. Anything short of this will not be tolerated.'
A IPCC spokesman said: 'The breaches relate to claims made to members of the public on an interactive dating website that he was a serving police officer and that he had committed criminal offences including drug-taking and a sexual offence.
'He was also found to have used his position as a uniformed police officer to have advertised himself online in an attempt to meet sexual partners while in uniform.'